Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chicken Cookers

Everyone has heard of the "beer" cookers for cooking whole chickens.   We make a pottery version of this.  The next few posts will be taking you through the process of the chicken cooker being made and ending with me cooking a chicken in one.

My brother-in-law, Oma Hester sent Mac a picture of a chicken cooker and asked Mac to try and make one.  Mac made one and sent it to Oma (who by the way could be a gourmet chef).  He in turn tried it out on his grill and sent us the recipe he used.  So began Palm Tree Pottery's chicken cooker which comes with its own recipe.  The cooker can be used on your grill (over indirect heat) or in your oven.  The recipe you get with the cooker is actually Oma's.  

Yesterday, Mac made seven chicken cookers.  That means I had work to do today. They have to sit and firm up (that means they have to dry some) before I can put the handles on the sides.  Here are the seven cookers waiting for their handles.



Today, I had to extrude handles from the extruder.  I cannot pull handles like most potter's do, so I have to use our extruder.  It is like using the thing you put Play-Doh in when you were a child and used the slide with cut outs to make the play dough come out in different shapes.  Only our extruder is a little on the larger side as it is bolted to the wall!!  Anyway, I had to put the handles on the sides of the cookers.  This way you have something to hold on to when you are moving the cooker off the grill or out of your oven.



Now they all have to dry completely before being put into the kiln to be fired for the first time.  

Hope you have enjoyed seeing some of the process in making our pottery.  I should have been out there when Mac was actually making them to take a picture, but I was paying bills, I mean which is more important!!!

Hope everyone is staying cool.  It was really hot in the "studio" aka the garage, when I was working today.  

I do not even like thinking about tomorrow - we have to do back to school shopping!  Where has the summer gone?!

The Potter's Wife :)

No comments:

Post a Comment